Monday, June 1, 2009

We are most honest...

This sign struck me amongst the many that Patrick "Pato" Herbert created for the California Biennial last year.

Upon driving up to the OC Museum of Art last fall, I first "saw" them as typical election or protest signs.... I was then sucked into walking about reading each of them and discussing the quotes with friends. Such a garden of colorful sentiments....

The sign seen here may or may not have been a gift liberated from its original home. In the tradition of new beginnings, I thought I would continue with the intent of the artist by placing it on a corner in my neighborhood yesterday for the public to enjoy, perhaps provoking conversations with friends and lovers. I set it along a similar spot we often see "for rent" signs.....

I am happy to say it lasted less than 24 hours on that corner before being liberated in the middle of the afternoon by someone who must have also been struck by the sentiment. I love that a sign that talks of honesty was um, "liberated," and I hope the trend continues ;)
(image taken outside the OC Museum from one of my favorite blogs, Tryharder)
Pato created these signs after prompting questions to young adults throughout Southern California.

No comments: