Friday, July 17, 2009

Mini Love in the 1960s


I was just having a conversation with a friend the other day about that freedom of hitchhiking our parent's generation was able to enjoy. My best friend's dad posted this on the Mini site. I love it (perhaps more because I also love my Mini). What a perfect example of living for the moment and being open to all the great surprises that come to us each day :)

x
j

AT AGED 26, I LEFT AUSTRALIA IN 1962 TO TRAVEL THROUGHOUT THE UK TILL I RAN OUT OF FUNDS. RENTING A RED MINI IN LONDON I HEADED NORTH. IN THE SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS I FOUND A SMALL SET OF ANTLERS AND LAID THEM ON THE BACK SEAT BEHIND ME.


SEVERAL WEEKS LATER I STOPPED TO PICK UP TWO AUSTRALIAN WOMEN HIKERS WANTING A RIDE SOUTH. ONE GIRL SAT IN THE FRONT SEAT AND THE OTHER GIRL PUT THEIR SACKS DOWN AND SETTLED IN FOR A NAP, UNFORTUNATELY SPEARING HERSELF ON THE ANTLERS, DRAWING BLOOD AND HITTING THE ROOF AS SHE SPRUNG UPWARDS IN SHOCK. BEING PRUDENT HIKERS WITH FIRST-AID KITS WE WERE HAPPILY AWAY IN NO TIME.

LATER IN LONDON THE SPEARED GIRL AND I BECAME VERY FRIENDLY AND SUBSEQUENTLY MARRIED.


WE HAVE TWO CHARMING DAUGHTERS NOW IN THEIR FORTIES.

PS....could only happen in a mini!

No comments: