Sunday, June 22, 2008

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.--Oscar Wilde

Complete silence for the past 3 hours. Only now the sounds of a fan, of the crickets outside, and of the air brushing through the palm fronds. I am concentrating on these lovely things rather than the occasional machine noise of cars passing by. The night air is merciful. Finally, thankfully becoming cool. The lights of the city are twinkling in the distance of my picture window--past the inky silhouettes of palm trees against a violet night sky. I've always felt a calm looking at city lights in the distance--wherever I am. And such excitement at seeing the lights of a city upon approach. My mother often comments that I felt or acted this way even as a tiny toddler. Perhaps it was growing up in a small town with a bit of wanderlust in my being (I think inherited perhaps from my maternal grandmother's mother). The tiny city lights in the distance take me back to those quiet childhood moments sitting alone in the living room in the dark gazing at the simple beauty of the lights on our Christmas tree.
Through the weekend I've stolen time to read a bit of Oscar....my romanticized, idealized, glass-half-full take on him. Feeling close to Wilde--a fellow Libra. And some shared Irish blood. A lover, not a fighter. An observer. Perhaps bit naive in some respects. A dreamer. An admirer of the gift and beauty of nature. For better or worse though these characteristics may be in certain contexts or situations, I feel overall its these very parts of a being that keep our souls young and in tune with the earth, the moon, the sun and the stars. These qualities give us sympathy, understanding and forgiveness of other humans and keep our eyes wide open to all that can be possible.....
Some particular quotes today I am feeling in tune with....
"Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault. Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are cultivated. For these there is hope...."

I love that he was so much of a lover of nature....aren't you there with him right now?:
"The studio was filled with the rich odour of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of the lilac; or the more delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn."

And well, I do quite like this one..... ;)
"I prefer women with a past. They're always so damned amusing to talk to."

No comments: