Sunday, August 3, 2008

Wholesome Hollywood Weekend

The Big Sleep. The chemistry between Bogart & Bacall....mesmerizing. 1940s. And such style.... I like this film better than the Maltese Falcon. Incredibly sharp dialogue with innuendo and more interesting female characters, including the always high sister.

Marlowe: Well, I can't tell till I've seen you over a distance of ground. You've got a touch of class, but, uh...I don't know how - how far you can go.
Vivian: A lot depends on who's in the saddle. Go ahead Marlowe, I like the way you work. In case you don't know it, you're doing all right.
Marlowe: There's one thing I can't figure out.
Vivian: What makes me run?
Marlowe: Uh-huh.
Vivian: I'll give you a little hint. Sugar won't work. It's been tried.


A weekend of classic films. From film noir Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall to the classic musical with John Travolta & Olivia Newton John.


Grease: The intro is great! Love Sandy. Stockard Channing has great legs and a sharp wit.

And in the midst of all of this:

- A friend who became engaged to himself. If you'd like to congratulate him on his newfound love, I'll tell you where he is registered.

- Grandma's grilled-cheese (buttery, crisp, and flat) done a new way--gruyere cheese, organic sourdough bread, and heirloom tomatoes. YUM.

- A funny fellow with the most amazing camera ever. If only I weren't feeling so shy.....so very Sandy.

- A dancing dog.

We're No Angels: Bogart in a fun little comedy which takes place on French-owned Devil's Island, the same location as one of my all-time favorite films, Papillon.

- INSPIRED: by Grease Pink Ladies meets Audrey Hepburn. A Sunday morning look--a black twill scooter skirt one-piece, a bright pink scarf in the hair, pink & silver ballet flats, and those Oliver People's glamorous black sunnies for a Sunday bike ride on a 1960's rickety bicycle with a basket to the Hollywood Farmer's Market. I laughed the entire ride, and for some time after.....

- NEW: Sorbet stand @ the Farmer's Market to check out: Cucumber sorbet! Lemon Basil sorbet! Intrigued as always by the young Albanian boys playing the accordian.

- BONDING: over the wonder of California, its unique offerings, and keeping it real. Eating as much delicious food as we possibly could in Studio City with Sanoe.

No comments: