Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The One-Stop-Shop for Michelle Obama's Looks + Jill Biden Is One Hot Tomato

Does it get any better than this? Those kids are too darling. Love the JCrew kidswear on them. Showing classic, American style can be attainable, fun, and smart.

I was addicted to CNN alll day. Seriously. Completely captivated by these moments in history.

Our first lady of style seems to do her one-stop shopping at Ikram in Chicago. The roster of this store's designers makes me want to take a trip to the windy city and I can only imagine how amazing the owner, Ikram Goldman, must be to establish this store in what has always seemed to me a bit of a conservative city.

Ikram carries Jason Wu (the inauguration gown), Isabel Toledo (inauguration day ensemble), Loree Rodkin (her jewels of choice all week-- everything is made here in LA), Tom Binns (the jewelry she wore before--he also lives in LA).....etc. etc.

I want to know what vitamin shots they are on and how they can smile for nearly 18 hours straight on camera.
They became more intimate in their dancing as the night went on. It was sweet.


Ikram also carries LA avant-favorites Liz Goldwyn Jewelry and Rodarte in the mix with Alaia, Balmain, Viktor+Rolf, Undercover, Margiela, and Lanvin. AND she has VINTAGE as well.

I was not crazy about Michelle's daytime ensemble at first, I liked the nod to Jackie O and I do completely admire Isabel Toledo, its just the color wasn't sitting with me well for this particular occasion (I am a bit of the traditionalist and was hoping for a more patriotic color choice). However I feel today looking through photos, when it reads a bit more gold than olivey-yellow, I like it.

I do think its great that Mrs. Obama sticks to things that work for her body, the shift dresses, knee length skirts with belted sweaters, etc and details, details, details. Her day look with the lacey-texture and embellishments transformed into the cream silk-chiffon gown adorned with tiny, embellished florets. Subtle enough sparkle.

(One note, having watched all 10 balls, I wished Mrs. Obama's gown was hemmed maybe 1-2 inces shorter. She kept pulling at the back of it every time she danced to avoid stepping on it, which was a bit distracting....)
What a smart-looking couple. Dr. Jill has a great pair of gams.

No one is talking about the very gorgeous Mrs. Vice President/Dr. Jill Biden. I think she looked fantastic in both her looks. I love that she went patriotic red in a Milly red coat and eschewed traditional pumps to go with stylish (and WARM in that 23 degree weather) in knee boots. At the balls, she was stunning in her red Reem Acra gown. 57 years old never looked so good.

No comments: