Monday, November 5, 2007

Sunday at Figaro


If you know me, if you really know me, you know how much I love the little place called Figaro in Los Feliz. Organic French food. Just down the road. I stumbled upon it walking about 3 years ago when my fellow of that time was living in Silverlake. I was up here for the weekend without a car, which has never been a problem for me, and I walked all over Silverlake & Los Feliz, taking in the good, the bad, the ugly, and the sublime.

I still remember peeking inside for the first time with delight :) Excited to tell the fellow about my discovery and looking forward to sharing it with him. I remember dining there for the first time as well, and most every time since. Breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, sometimes with friends, sometimes a date, sometimes drawing on the paper tablecloths they used to use, sometimes dining alone talking to the nice waiters, always memorable.

This past Sunday I dined with new friends who love Figaro as much as I do. We joked earlier in the week about getting the restaurant as part of a divorce settlement--its that important to us! Its great to find others who love it there the way I do. The atmosphere, the antique zinc bar, the cafe tables and chairs--sidewalk dining like in Paris. The whole ambiance. Of course the food is great too. I was worried the new owners would change things too much, but it was lovely. One of those loooooooong, leisurely, conversational 2 or however many hours at Figaro.....and BB's cafe au lait was so huge it should come with a cat to lap up all that milk.

Side note, the meager yet convenient work lunchtime for me, Cafe Marly, has changed their hours to no longer serve lunch! It seems sweet Laurent cannot get out of bed earlier than 4 PM. No more crepes or omelets, or pan bagnat for me. No more intimate wine conversations with friends....etc. to take that break in a rough day :( Its okay, its not my fav place I suppose. Its no FIGARO!

No comments: