Sunday, October 14, 2007

I took back tiny dancer last night


As a sensitive soul, sometimes seemingly incidental occurrences, experiences, and the like have a lasting effect on me. Words can become visual. They come to life in the DVR in my brain.

So I had always loved since I was child Elton John's "Tiny Dancer." (Even before "Almost Famous" though I really loved how they used it in that film.) My dad had several Elton John albums. I remember holding "Yellow Brick Road" in my hand and looking at the crazy, colorful artwork as I sat on the wooden floor of his place in Richmond when he lived with his friend Tommy. I was maybe 7? Certain songs are in the soundtracks of our lives. (And you know, I used to be a tiny dancer myself, growing up as a ballerina for many years......)

So I had this song "sampled" by someone else a few months ago. I had to turn off the radio if it came on.......

But last night, I took Elton back again. A gift to myself. A peaceful moment amidst the chaos. My little brother calling to sing me "happy birthday" for the 2nd time, right before he was going to bed. My cell phone was dying. I was at work. I ran outside to plug into the car, and when I did, "Tiny Dancer" came out of the radio. So as I hung up with Caleb, I BLASTED it as loud as possible, in the darkness of night, and SANG TO THE TOP OF MY LUNGS because what I really wanted for my birthday was karaoke...... but I was working. So, I had my own private karaoke session and it felt good on many levels......

The therapy of singing words as LOUD and as beautifully as you possibly could.

The love I felt from that little guy on the phone.

A moment to myself that was much needed.

And recapturing a song in my personal soundtrack :)

CLICK HERE TO Enjoy......


.......But oh how it feels so real
Lying here with no one near
Only you and you can't hear me
When I say softly, slowly

Hold me closer tiny dancer
Count the headlights on the highway
Lay me down in sheets of linen
you had a busy day today

Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band
Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you'll marry a music man
Ballerina, you must have seen her dancing in the sand
And now she's in me, always with me, tiny dancer in my hand

No comments: