Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Indian Summer.....

Well, I thought it was an east coast thing, but it happens here as well. And I am wanting it to go away. I want to be bundled up, cozy, wearing layers and hosiery, and boots. I appreciate the beauty of the light this morning, that warm, golden glow upon the plantation shutters on my balcony, or peaking through the palm fronds. But....I want my real fall back...... the seasons are important to me--even if they are much more slight here. The seasons are part of who I am--the girl who grew up in Virginia.

And growing up there, surrounding by history of Indians/Native Americans. I thought I'd look up "why" we call it Indian summer.

The term "Indian Summer" dates back to the 18th century in the United States. It can be defined as "any spell of warm, quiet, hazy weather that may occur in October or even early November."

I found the below info.

"One explanation of the term "Indian Summer" might be that the early native Indians chose that time of year as their hunting season. This seems reasonable seeing the fall months are still considered the main hunting season for several animals.

Also, the mild and hazy weather encourages the animals out, and the haziness of the air gives the hunter the advantage to sneak up on its prey without being detected. Taking this idea one step further, Indians at that time were known to have set fires to prairie grass, underbrush and woods to accentuate the hazy, smokey conditions."

No comments: