Tuesday, October 23, 2007

State of Emergency



Malibu. How can something so horrible also be so beautiful.....

I'm not that close to the fires, but not that far away either. When you see the sky turn that nuclear greyish glow and the sunset is glowing pink and orange in a most bizarre way, its close enough. Unless you are a robot, it hits you....even if you don't want it to.....

Dave called last night after landing from his most magical trip to Paris. His friend Jesse was down in Rancho Santa Fe fighting the fires, just trying to get to homes as fast as they could to save them.

I had an intern call this morning who was down in Del Mar helping her mother to pack and evacuate. She told me that Del Mar and Solana Beach, my old home, were being evacuated. It was a weird feeling. I immediately called some people, one I haven't spoken to in a long time. I just wanted to know everyone is safe, and so far, they are.

And even though I don't live there anymore, it made me feel so protective and far removed at the same time, to think of the home I once owned, burning down.

So much to put life into perspective this week. LIVE LIFE!

My 65 year old aunt emailed me today, we just had a relative pass away. "Life moves on and goes on. If you don't grab that little piece of the pie, you're going to be pretty miserable."

No comments: